NMR Mosaic Student Page
Solving 1H NMR is an important skill which takes practice to learn. It is a very logical process, but is difficult for most students for two major reasons:
The NMR Mosaic was designed to help you master 1H NMR interpretation. It helps you remember to use all three types of information in the spectrum because you need them all to put each mosaic piece together.
Better yet, it helps you find the correct structure in several ways. First the colors help you visualize the connectivity that is encoded in the 1H NMR spectrum. Second the mosaic will help you recognize incorrect interpretations because the mosaic pieces will not all fit together if something is wrong. Finally, it can help you interpret "evil" spectra which contain complex multiplets where it is virtually impossible to figure out how many hydrogens are spitting the peak.
Some of my students have even said that using the NMR Mosaic even made solving NMR spectra fun!
• Quick instructions for the NMR Mosaic
• Detailed instructions on solving 1H NMR spectra
• “I made my pieces, but they don’t all fit together!”
• “A peak is so split I cannot tell what it is. What do I do now?”
• The NMR Mosaic helps you avoid making mistakes
• IR and NMR Peak Correlations
Sample and practice problems
• Example 1
• Example 2
• Example 3
• Example 4